We are looking for an energetic and highly motivated individual to fill the following position:
Sensory Impairment Development Worker (BME Communities)
28hrs per week (4 days)
Salary £23,889 pro-rata – funded to 31st March 2022
You will use a number of approaches in working with and supporting members of BME communities who are deaf, blind, partially sighted, acquired hearing loss or affected by dual sensory loss and living in Leeds.
You will be working closely with the Leeds Sensory Impairment Service and their partners to facilitate access to appropriate health and wellbeing activities, independent living and support services.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
• Minimum of BSL level 2 (two) with a commitment to commence a BSL level 3 qualification in the first year.
• Minimum of two years’ experience of outreach and enablement work with people who have a sensory impairment
• Minimum of two years’ experience of direct outreach and development work with African-Caribbean and other BME communities
• An understanding and/or experience of supporting and facilitating Peer support activities
• An understanding of the barriers for sensory impaired BME people accessing appropriate services that they are entitled to.
As a member of the team you will have the relevant experience and be an effective communicator with a passion for excellence in your professional field. What’s essential is that you love what you do. We want you to enjoy coming to work every day and to care about your role, your colleagues and our service users.
Download an application pack below please note CVs are not accepted. No agencies.
For an informal chat about the position please contact Corrina Lawrence on 0113 350 4200
Closing date for applications is 12 noon Thursday 27th April 2017
Interviews to take place: Friday 12th May 2017
The successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
click on the links to access the documents
Covering Letter – download covering letter here
Job Description – download job description here
Person Specification - download person specification here
Application Form - download application form here
Equality & Diversity Statement - download equality and diversity statement here
Guidance Notes - download guidance notes here
Access to Work Information - download access to work information here
Information about Feel Good Factor - download information about Feel Good Factor here
Safer Recruitment Statement - download safer recruitment statement here